Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Time to train for Anchor Down

In six weeks I will be attempting the 24 hour Anchor Down Ultramarathon for the 2nd time. I learned a lot during last years attempt. A pitiful effort at best since I stopped at 17 hours and 51 miles. Sounds impressive until you see my historical stats and realized 50 miles takes me from 11-12 hours normally.

What did I do wrong?   Totally ignored any sleep needs by getting up early with no naps before the race. By doing that I was awake for 36 hours! My gas tank was empty by 15 hours into it which is why I stopped at 17. Couldn't go on. I believe physically I can do better but must have the proper rest. I also fueld poorly. Too many stops at the snack tables overnight, too much pizza on multiple loops, etc. Not enough water.  One of the best experiences last year was the college guys serving Ramen Noodle soup at 3:00am by the ocean. That really gave me a boost. Other runners have said the same. The last observation of bad habits was the frequent and long breaks. Every loop and sometimes for many minutes. All that together gave me a slow 50 mile time.

This year a plan is developing.
First.... I hope to get there early, setup a tent, and sleep a few hours. It may be noisy so I may end up up in the car for an extended nap. If I could sleep until 5:00ish instead of socializing I will be better prepared at start time.
Pace....My pace wasn't too fast initially for the race but too fast for the rooty trail section. I stumbled and stubbed toes which caused discomfort. I will walk most of that section this year.
Breaks and fueling....I need to plan what food and how often I eat. More carbs, less junk, and only a slice of pizza at midnight. It will be "grab and go" to save time.
After daybreak....Once the sun comes up I will be half done. Mentally I must stay positive and push at that point. Not push for speed but instead push for continuance. Walking is OK but I must keep going.

The goal....72 miles and/or 24 hours. Whatever the result I have a hotel reserved down the street for the proper rest before heading home.
After 17 hours



No comments: