Monday, February 13, 2017

Real Winter Has Arrived.

Snow has finally started to pile up. The winter was kind of blah up until this week. Storm Chris dumped 19" on Burlington. Nice fluffy stuff. Timing worked out for me to begin a run just as the storm started and ended with a few miles of steady stuff. My favorite. Light snow with no traffic. Non runners will never experience the tranquility of such a run. I realize how lucky I am to live in a rural area. Quiet and peaceful. It's always a toss up on whether to wear my Due North spikes or not. They are perfect for packed streets but useless in deep snow. Also must be sure not to run too long on asphalt because they wear down quickly.
Mid day and mid storm. 14" at noon.
Since that storm we received 6 additional inches and more next week. Now that is a winter I expect. With all this snow the road running becomes tight and trail running is a bit more strenuous. But that's OK. After reaching a trail my mind gets lost and the stress flows out of me. Turning back is always the sad point of these winter runs but reality calls.
My job has me heading off to the north country again and I'll be running in Maine. More snow, more cold, more fun.

No comments: